Wednesday 15 August 2012

Happy Independence Day India!

Happy Independence Day India!

Hey everyone  I’d like to start off by saying Happy Independence Day! As many of you know, I am Indian. Though my ethnic origins are spread across two continenents, Africa and Asia; I am a proud Indian. And today, Wednesday 15th August is our independence day. The day we finally won our freedom and became a sovereign nation. I myself don’t actually know that much about the day, so I’ve enjoyed doing a little research myself and expanding my knowledge.

So here are some interesting facts I found out about the day:
  • It’s a national holiday in India.
  •  A flagship event takes place every year in Delhi where the Prime Minister puts up the national flag and follows it up with a speech.
  • The day is then celebrated a lot with parades and other cultural events.
  • The only other 2 public holiday’s in India are Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti(Gandhi’s birthday) ―Tuesday, October 2 and Republic Day ―Thursday, January 26.
  •  One of the known famous quotes about the day: "At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom. A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new...India discovers herself again." - Jawaharlal Nehru.
  •  People often use the phrase “Jai Hind!” on the day which means roughly “victory to India”.
I've really loved reading more about this remarkable day and learning more about my origin. I hope all my fellow Indians and all people of India have a lovely Independence Day! I've got Gandhi on my sky+ planner and I intend on watching it for the first time tonight! I’ll leave you with my favourite Independence Day quote; “A true Indian isn't one who puts up flags on the 15th but someone who picks up discarded flags on the 16th and feels proud to be Indian all year round.” 






 I

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...