Sunday 29 March 2015

Oatcakes - GoT Countdown

When they woke the next morning, the fire had gone out and the Liddle was gone, but he'd left a sausage for them, and a dozen oatcakes, folded up neatly in a green and white cloth. Some of the cakes had pine nuts baked in and some had blackberries. Bran ate one of each and still did not know what sort he liked best. - A Storm Of Swords

Good morning sweetlings!

The time is nearing, only 3 more weeks to go! I must say the excitment is building up rapidly, especially since I have been re watching season's 1 and 2 this week, and I forget how much I loved them. I feel like I have found a new found love for characters like Ser Jorah and Gendry.

On another note, this weekend I ventured to my favorite location from series 1-2. The North! And I made modern oatcakes with blackberry jam and pine nut puree, and like Bran, I don't know which I prefer!

Recipe:
Ingredients-

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp each of ground cinammon and ginger
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp of baking powder
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 cups plain flour
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts
  • 1-3 tsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp blackberry jelly (I used bramble)
Method-

  • Mix together the butter and sugar until thoroughly combined. (I used an electric whisk)
  • Add the egg, vanilla and spices.
  • Add the remaining dry ingredients and whisk until a dough forms. 
  • Divide the dough in two, and roll out into a flat disk. Cling film this and chill for 1 hour. 
  • Repeat with the rest of the dough.
  • Remove from the fridge and roll out further to a 1/4 inch thickness.
  • Use a round cookie cutter to cut the cookies and place on a lined baking tray,
  • Bake in a 180 degree celcius oven, for 20 minutes, 
  • Remove and place on a cooling rack. Repeat with the 2nd disk,
  • For the pine nut puree place them in a food processor and add the olive oil a teaspoon at a time until a smooth, thick paste forms.
  • Once the biscuits are cooled, sandwich half of them with the blackberry jelly for a sweet variety and the others with the puree for a savory snack.








I really liked these biscuits, they resemble digestive biscuits and are great with a cuppa. The texture is also very short and crisp while the sweetness very mild and does not interfere with the savory variety too much. I think I would rate them a good 8/10. 

Since I have been re-watching seasons 1 and 2, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite scenes from two of my favorite characters. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...